On Mar 2, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Hal Fulton wrote:

> Hi, all...
>
> I sometimes wish for a very simple database with the
> following features:
>
> 1. Distributed as part of Ruby
> 2. Need not store entire db in memory
> 3. No SQL requirement
> 4. No special efficiency requirement
> 5. Available cross-platform
> 6. Database files are readable cross-platform

I've wished for a similar thing myself.  I've had a few different
desires though.

To me is would be handy if each object could be stored in its own data
file, or if I could control the serialization file scheme (not sure
quite how).  This especially works if it uses something like YAML, so I
can tweak it a little externally, but still be able to treat it as my
DB inside of Ruby.  Would probably be cool if I could choose my output
format too:  YAML, XML, or whatever.

That's probably nothing like what you had in mind, but it sounds handy
to me.  I've needed something similar more than once.

Anyway, getting back on topic, yes, I like the idea.

James Edward Gray II