On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:01:01 +0900, James Britt
<jamesUNDERBARb / neurogami.com> wrote:
> An initial gem release of Ruby Orbjson is available.  It provides an ORB
> (object request broker) for facilitating JavaScript/Ruby interaction
> using JSON-RPC.
>
> On the server, services are registered with Orbjson using Needle.  The
> library provides libs for CGI or WEBrick handlers to process JSON-RPC
> calls (such as might be sent from a Web browser using the XmlHttpRequest
> object).
>
> Orbjson converts the JSON message to a Ruby object (thanks to Florian
> Frank's code) and locates the appropriate class via Needle (thanks,
> Jamis).  The method invocation results are serialized to JSON and sent
> back to the client.

Thanks, James, this is awesome. I've been playing with it a bit today
(after getting past the packaging issues, which I know you're already
aware of) and have been quite impressed.

The one hangup I've seen is that the jsonrpc.js library you included
doesn't seem to allow for asynchronous requests. This limits a few
things (e.g. if the request has a delay in either transit or server
side processing, that delay still blocks the user, though nowhere near
as much as a full page refresh) but can be worked around by tweaking
the jsonrpc.js library.

I plan on looking into:

1) Finding and documenting the existing asynchronous capabilities of
jsonrpc.js, or
2) Adding asynchronous capabilities to jsonrpc.js

With asynchronous calls available this will be a perfect vehicle for
Ajax + Ruby!

Jacob Fugal