On Feb 28, 2005, at 5:12 AM, Kaspar Schiess wrote:
> Usually, you define classes in your C extension and likewise in your
> Ruby
> code, doing things twice, which does not matter since Ruby will take
> your
> meaning (creating one class).

This was suggested by several people (thanks, Pit and Leon!), and not
only captures the essence of Ruby, but would work quite well... if it
weren't for my need for inheritance, as you point out shortly. I
_could_ also create "empty" versions of my superclasses in C, but then
I'm recreating the inheritance hierarchy again. Or...

> But yeah, redefinition with a different superclass gives you a
> SuperClassMismatch. So I would aim for different classes altogether,
> using
> mixins to mix the c code into the Ruby code:
<snip>
> This method is tested and works, and it looks clean enough to me. Now
> does
> this solve all your problems ? Yes, if I read you right.

...I could just do this. I believe this is exactly what I need. Thanks
for the help!

--
eric