> (Aside: I'm aware that Ruby has two other markup languages sometimes used for
> wikis (Red Cloth (?) and Text <something>?)--I may someday support those as
> well, but I'm not immediately interested in converting the megabytes of data
> I have and learning a different markup language.)
>
> My impression is that some or many wikis (this is my impression of TWiki)
> don't use a "real parser" (like YACC or whatever), but instead simply search
> and replace in the text using (many) Regular Expressions.  Conceptually, that
> seems an easy approach (less learning on my part, but probably tedious
> creation of many REs (or borrowing from TWiki's Perl).

<plug>deplate (http://deplate.sf.net)</plug> uses a syntax that has some
similiarities with TWiki. It uses REs for tokenizing the text and
turning the input string into arrays of objects. Basically, deplate is
meant to be adaptable to different wiki-like markups but I haven't had
the time yet to get there.

Cheers,
Thomas.