On 2005-02-27, Brian Mitchell <binary42 / gmail.com> wrote:
> chroot require root privileges as you mentioned. My project will not
> .. at least I am going to try not to. Go read the Rubyx ML archives
> where I outline this further.
>
> starts here (I also mention it in a few other threads):
> http://lists.walrond.org/pipermail/rubyx/2005-February/000867.html
>
> I know this is trying to cut around the chroot step which is easy but
> I want this available w/o root access on any machine. There is no
> reason one needs root access to install some of their own programs
> (ever seen ~/bin ?)... why not make it easy and just let them have an
> entire custom distribution? I am also still brainstorming. I did do a

So you mean that I, as a non-priviliged user, do the install process and
finally I just type something like "rubyx-start" and it throws me a
shell which is installed under my home dir, and in which I type then
"gcc", "ruby", "ls", "httpd", whatsoever, it just finds these utils
properly under my home dir, with all of their components?

Well, that really sounds cool! Although the set of boxes where you have only
non-root access tends to coincide with the set of boxes where you are
constrained with a quota... :) Maybe such a feature would be more useful
with a uClibc based install...

Csaba