"James Edward Gray II" <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Dave Burt wrote:
>
>> JEGIII
>
> Hmm, I'm going down through the generations.  ;)  Still just a II, not a
> III.  For the curious, I shorten my name as JEG2.  Use whatever you like
> though, I answer to anything.

Sorry. Fixed in code comments.

>> And I added 3 input translators.
>
> Wow!  Nice work.  I look forward to digging through these.

Thanks. Do enjoy.

>> I generated letter frequency data, which is a big part of the LetterWise
>> method, from a smidgen over 65MB of plain-text modern novels and movie
>> scripts, using the following two scripts (the latter has 2 versions):
>> http://www.dave.burt.id.au/ruby/phonepad/1_wordfreq.zip
>> http://www.dave.burt.id.au/ruby/phonepad/2_predict3_rb.zip
>> http://www.dave.burt.id.au/ruby/phonepad/2_predict3_yaml.zip
>
> Just FYI, these links don't seem to work for me.

My fault: these are scripts, and end in .rb, not .zip:
http://www.dave.burt.id.au/ruby/phonepad/1_wordfreq.rb
http://www.dave.burt.id.au/ruby/phonepad/2_predict3_rb.rb
http://www.dave.burt.id.au/ruby/phonepad/2_predict3_yaml.rb

An additional note on the serialization in these latter two scripts: I tried
two methods.
Hand-output YAML, which ended up about 1.8MB, takes 5-6 seconds to load on
my machine. Hand-output, because if you don't, it grows to over double the
size, and fails on a mapping with nil for a key (it omits the "~").
"p big_hash" ended up around 2.4MB (and the file has only one "\n"), and
takes a touch under 3 seconds to load.

Cheers,
Dave