On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:05:04 +0900, Csaba Henk
<csaba / phony_for_avoiding_spam.org> wrote:
> On 2005-02-27, Brian Mitchell <binary42 / gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is going under a complete rewrite (still in Ruby AFAIK). The new
> > version will probably debut under a new name (Heretix seemed to win
> > out on the ML). Andrew mentioned some sort of release (preview or
> > not?) this week-end though as hes accomplished a lot already and has
> > gone through having a case of the flu I would not hold him to any
> > deadline.
>
> Sound interesting!

And it just got more interesting. Some details have emerged on some
new features... I would read the archives of the Rubyx-ML and join
(more appropriate place for certain conversations).

> > I have been waiting on this release to begin real work on enabling
> > installation under the home directory of a user (not unlike
> > gobo-linux). I hope this will allow Heretix/Rubyx to become more
> > accessible to people who can't or don't want to install a separate OS
> > from the one they use now (limited to Linux of course, probably 2.6
> > too). I have all kinds of crazy ideas but this is one I want to take a
> > stab at (I have yet to see how easy it will be with the new design).
>
> Hm, given that it's a source-based distro, why can't you just specify
> any directory as root dir? The installer can chroot to any dir to do the
> job, as far as it's mounted read/write...
>
> Or you mean, that no root privileged action is done during this type of
> installation? If the user does't have root acces, how will she use it
> then? Otherwise, why is it good to refrain from privileged moves? Chroot
> is safe enough imho, if you just care about not messing up the base
> system...

chroot require root privileges as you mentioned. My project will not
... at least I am going to try not to. Go read the Rubyx ML archives
where I outline this further.

starts here (I also mention it in a few other threads):
http://lists.walrond.org/pipermail/rubyx/2005-February/000867.html

I know this is trying to cut around the chroot step which is easy but
I want this available w/o root access on any machine. There is no
reason one needs root access to install some of their own programs
(ever seen ~/bin ?)... why not make it easy and just let them have an
entire custom distribution? I am also still brainstorming. I did do a
little work on it but decided to delay for the upcoming release. If
you have any better ideas on how to execute this please tell as I am
going in with almost no experience with this kind of thing.

> Csaba

Brian.