Randy Kramer wrote:
>    * If I did create the proper grammar rules, would parsing using something
> like YACC be faster than a bunch of RE replacements?
>
>    * Any recommendations for a parser in Ruby?  I think there are a couple,
> I've been doing some Googling / reading and have come across references to
> parse.rb and (iirc) something called Coco (??).

I've written probably twenty different parsing libraries -- including
six complete revisions of the YAML parser -- and I personally favor
writing the parser in C (with Bison and Re2c).  I find the two as easy
to use as any Ruby equivalents and re2c's lexer lets me control the
buffer better -- in case I need to turn a token into multiple events or
backtrack.

I hope no one is using RedCloth's parser as an example.  It's awful.
It's like when Ron Popeil injects garlic into a turkey using that freaky
flavor syringe and you're like, "Grrrosss, he killed the turkey,
polished it up and forced it to be a junkie."  RedCloth is all the
regexps from textile.php and markdown.pl forced into a hot, enclosed area --

It's a breeding ground for moth and ringworm.  I have two evil Bad Luke
hands afterwards, which first try to strangle me and, failing that, then
go after people on the street with Ron Popeil's patented rib cage shears.

_why