On Saturday 26 February 2005 02:39 pm, you wrote:
> next time use a distribution with a prebuilt package :)
> (we simply don't have the man power to build these ourselves,
>   too many distributions too little time :( )

Thanks:

Just wanted to come back and thank Alexander Kellet again for pointing me to
the Ruby/Qt/KDE tutorial at
http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/kde3tutorial/index.html it is
very helpful.  Thanks also to the authors of the tutorial .  (So far I've
mostly just copied and pasted the code to run the examples, now I need to go
back and understand them. ;-)

Bugs:

I did run into a few bugs (iiuc) in the 9th example program
(http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/kde3tutorial/p9.html):

   * First of all, in the line:

      "Original Developer/Mantainer"),"larrosa / kde.org",

the ) is not required (and it should be Maintainer)--this created the error
message:

bash-2.05b$ ./p9.rb:96: syntax error
      "Original Developer/Mantainer"),"larrosa / kde.org",
                                      ^

(Caret doesn't show in proper place except in a fixed width font.)

   * Even after fixing that line, I get the error:

kparts: ERROR: No such XML file /home/rhk/work/ruby/qt/p9ui.rc

I haven't spent much time looking for the problem, maybe it is a BKAC
error--maybe I am supposed to create that file?

I probably won't pursue this for a few days, so I thought I'd mention thosse
things.

Observations:

I am going to continue to look for some lighter weight HTML widgets.  (I do
like the khtml rendering, and I like the signal / slot communication method
(vs. callbacks), but most of the widgets take 4 to 7 seconds to appear on my
screen.  (Some of that may be general program startup overhead, maybe
creating a 2nd similar widget will not take nearly as long, but I would think
there are some lighter weight alternatives.  All I have to do is find some
simple Ruby examples for using them.

regards,
Randy Kramer