On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:54:02 +0900, Randy Kramer
<rhkramer / gmail.com> wrote:
> * If I did create the proper grammar rules, would parsing using
>   something like YACC be faster than a bunch of RE replacements?

> * Any recommendations for a parser in Ruby? I think there are a
>   couple, I've been doing some Googling / reading and have come
>   across references to parse.rb and (iirc) something called Coco
>   (??).
>
> * Anybody know the approach followed by existing Ruby wikis like
>   Instiki, Ruwiki, etc.?

Ruwiki uses regular expressions to convert. There are portions of
this what I will probably be moving toward a more traditional parser
-- particularly those things which aren't converting well to XHTML
(I am attempting to ensure XHTML compliance in Ruwiki's generated
output).

As I understand it, RedCloth (which supports both Markdown and
Textile in version 3), does everything through regexen as well.

The biggest problem with regexen is not speed -- they're FAST. The
biggest problem is interaction of regexen. Ruwiki solves this, in
part, by adding priorities to tokens.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com