On 2005-02-27, Brian Mitchell <binary42 / gmail.com> wrote:
> It is going under a complete rewrite (still in Ruby AFAIK). The new
> version will probably debut under a new name (Heretix seemed to win
> out on the ML). Andrew mentioned some sort of release (preview or
> not?) this week-end though as hes accomplished a lot already and has
> gone through having a case of the flu I would not hold him to any
> deadline.

Sound interesting!

> I have been waiting on this release to begin real work on enabling
> installation under the home directory of a user (not unlike
> gobo-linux). I hope this will allow Heretix/Rubyx to become more
> accessible to people who can't or don't want to install a separate OS
> from the one they use now (limited to Linux of course, probably 2.6
> too). I have all kinds of crazy ideas but this is one I want to take a
> stab at (I have yet to see how easy it will be with the new design).

Hm, given that it's a source-based distro, why can't you just specify
any directory as root dir? The installer can chroot to any dir to do the
job, as far as it's mounted read/write...

Or you mean, that no root privileged action is done during this type of
installation? If the user does't have root acces, how will she use it
then? Otherwise, why is it good to refrain from privileged moves? Chroot
is safe enough imho, if you just care about not messing up the base
system...

Csaba