= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.5

Hello one and all.  It is time for another RubyGems update.  But first the
numbers.

Counting both the tarfile/zipfile download and the rubygem-update gem, we have
exceed 20,000 downloads of the RubyGems software, and this doesn't count the
number of RubyGems packages were downloaded as part of the Windows one-click
installer.  New gems are being published all the time.  It was just a week or
so ago when we saw the 200th gem released, and already we have more 213
unique gems available for download.

We have just released RubyGems 0.8.5.  This latest version of RubyGems has
some new functionality, fixes a few bugs and makes some things look prettier.
There are more changes in the works, but we wanted to get the new stuff out
as fast as possible.

== Faster Source Cache

Do you know how you used to dread getting the following message while
installing gems?

It could take up to 30 seconds (on my machine, even worse on others) for that
crazy source index to update.

This latest release of RubyGems speeds that wait time up considerably.  The
following table gives the following times for installing RedCloth with a
required source index update on three system we had available to us.  No RDoc
generation was included in the following times.

  RubyGems    Linux         Mac OSX      Windows
  0.8.4       33 secs       73 secs      58 secs
  0.8.5        8 secs       14 secs      21 secs

The new caching code is at least 3x faster than previous versions.  Woo Hoo!

== What is RubyGems?

RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and libraries.
RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby software fun and
enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site.  Browse the list
of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what you need with a
simple "gem install <name-of-gem>".  RubyGems takes care of the details of
installing, not only the gem you requested, but also any gems needed by the
software you selected.

So now you are asking ...

== How can I get all this great stuff?

Well, here's how ...

To download and install:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH:  ruby setup.rb all  (you may need admin/root privilege)

... or, if you have an existing RubyGem installation ....

  $ gem install rubygems-update  (again, might need to be admin/root)
  $ update_rubygems              (... here too)

== So What's Changed in this Release?

* Fixed a bug where, during installation, partial matches on gem names
overshadowed an exact match on the gem name.  Exact matches are now required.

* Applied Austin Ziegler/Kasper Schiess's patch to fix unit test running bug.

* Applied Lyle Johnson's patch to fix a problem with multiple require paths.

* "gem update" now accepts a list of gems and only updates the gems listed on
the command line.  If no list is given then all gems are updated (which is
the bahvior of the previousversion.

* gem_server has been updated with a very nice looking template.  Thanks to
Martin Ankerl.

* RubyGems now actively requires Ruby version 1.8.0 or better.  Folks trying
to run RubyGems on OSX with the default Ruby installation will now get a
meaning error message (rather than mysteriously not working).

* Local source index caching is now /much/ faster.  It now using Marshal
rather than Yaml.

* The update command now supports a --system option to update the RubyGems
software its self.  After installing 0.8.5, updating RubyGems will be a one
step process.

* Dropped that really irritating warning about generating RDocs for packages
that didn't specify it had an RDoc.  No one really cared about the message
and it was confusing to new users.

* Errors encountered while using require now corrctly reported.

* Misc. bug fixes.  See the ChangeLog file for details.

== Thanks

I wish to give a special thanks to Lyle Johnson, Austing Ziegler, and Ksaper
Schiess for the patches they provided.  And a big thanks to Martin Ankerl for
the HTML template upgrade to the gem_server package.  It looks really great.

Keep those gems coming!

-- Jim & Chad (for the RubyGems team)