On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > I would support an RCR with this proposal, under just about any method
> > name :) And I agree, boolean types need the same method as well.
>
> Wow.  I wonder what George Boole would say if he heard that his logic
> was being abused in this manner. Boolean values are either true or
> false.  They don't have an inherit property dictating whether they are
> empty or non-empty.

In Logic, a Boolean Algebra has 2**n elements, so a Boolean value may have
n bits. I don't know what Boole would say if he found out his name has
been used for a thing that has only 1 bit. A n-bit Boolean Algebra is
about equivalent to a n-dimensional vector space of 1-bit Boolean
Algebras.

There are definitions of Booleans as Sets as well. One easy is that a
Boolean is a Set of the indices that are in the "true" state in itself. In
that sense, false is empty.

Another definition is to instead use the set of all elements that are
"less than or equal" to itself, where "less than or equal to", A <= B, is
defined as A&B == A.

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr٬l QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju