On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:45:34 +0900, Curt Hibbs <curt / hibbs.com> wrote:
> I always have trouble remembering whether its HttpXmlRequest, or
> XmlHttpRequest. In either case, its a poor moniker for such a promising web
> app technique.

It's not a technique per se, it's a the name of a JavaScript object
for doing sync/async calls from the browser to to server.  Been around
 since the last century, first as part of  Internet Explorer, then
Mozilla.

> Well, it turns out someone *has* given it a name: Ajax (for Asynchronous
> JavaScript + XML). You can read about it here:

What struck me about this article was a)  it's sort of pretentious,
unless there is some reasonably  robust dev lib to go with it, since
people have been doing this for some time now, and b) you can't tell,
as there appears to be no code released, except what you can decipher
from your browser when poking around "Google suggest".

BTW, I've done some work on a JSON-RPC ORB thing (called Roy, after
Roy Orbison) that builds off of the Ruby JSON-parsing code from
Florain Frank.  It makes this sort of JavaScript Xml request stuff
with Ruby server-code quite trivial.   You register services using
Needle and call them from the browser.

I need to gem it up for a nice release so people can find bugs and stuff.

James Britt

James