In message <v3Rv6.103822$W05.20140008 / news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>
jkaurin / home.com writes:

>    - Unable to get Tk interface working (Tcl and Tk are installed on
>      the system).

Maybe installation procedure can not locate Tcl/Tk's header files and
libraries.  Furthermore it may be a case that X's headers and libs.

You can configure with options explicitly include/library path like:

    ./configure --with-tcl-include=/usr/local/include/tcl8.0jp \
                --with-tcl-library=/usr/local/lib \
                --with-tcllib=tcl80jp \
                --with-tk-include=/usr/local/include/tk8.0jp \
                --with-tk-library=/usr/local/lib \
                --with-tklib-tk80jp \
                --with-X11-dir=/usr/X11R6

on my environment, FreeBSD 4.2-Release where japanized version of
Tcl/Tk 8.0 headers are in /usr/local/include/{tcl,tk}8.0jp, libraries
in /usr/local/lib and their names are lib{tcl,tk}80jp.so.*, and X is
installed on /usr/X11R6 in which /usr/X11R6/include and
/usr/X11R6/lib.

Generally options for extconf.rb in each ext module directory can be
gieven to configure and they are passed to extconf.rb when ext modules
are built.

> Ruby 1.6.3
>    - Unable to get core running using the default distribution or
>      changes I made for 1.6.2
>    - Numerous "multiply defined" warnings leading to a stopped make.

Probably this is because `extern inline' functions in ruby.h, such as
rb_type().  Replacing `extern' of those functions to `static' may
works fine.  This issue is reported recently on ruby-dev, and
discussed now on correct way of using inline if able and not causing
problem if no inline functions available.

--
kjana / os.xaxon.ne.jp                                 March 27, 2001
Speech is silver, silence is golden.