Hello,

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:18:55 +0900, Joel VanderWerf
<vjoel / PATH.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> Zev Blut wrote:

>>   Yes that is true, but I noticed if you actually go to directory with
>> a symlink, it will expand to the true path.  Like so:
>> [Snip examples]
>>
> Hm, I didn't expect that. And also:
>
> [Snip more examples]
>
> I guess ruby follows symlinks when doing Dir.chdir?
>
> Anyway, it doesn't solve the problem of a symlinked .rb file, if that's
> a problem.

Yes unfortunately it does not...
Personally I use require with symlinks to directories, but not files.
Although, I am sure someone does require symlinked files.

Your File.stat suggestion looks good, but I just confirmed, as you
suggested,
that it is not portable to a Windows environment.

I suppose Martin Ankerl's suggestion of computing a hash of each file is
the
most robust.

Looking at the ToDo in Ruby I noticed this:

* save both "feature names" and "normalized path" in $"

Maybe, there is already a better solution and it just waits for
implementation :-)

Zev