On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:09:01AM +0900, Sam Roberts wrote:
> Thanks, I know I can install my own copies of things that the OS
> already has, but a ruby build that doesn't manage to use what's
> already there isn't "just working", and this is a consistent problem
> when people try to package ruby up - there package has links to local
> libs not in the package.
>
> Anybody got ruby building against the system's readline?

hmm, can you even build against the system's readline?  there's a
readline framework under /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks, but there
doesn't seem to be any files in there.  i guess the readline symbols are
squirreled away somewhere else?  i did a global find on my machine as
root, and that location was the only readline-related file i noticed.

assuming that we can't build against a readline bundled with the OS,
what is the best way to handle this?  it seems a little weird to have a
unix-based OS without a readline you can easily access.  i just end up
compiling my own readline and using that when building ruby, but there
should be an easier solution!

doug

--
"Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the
world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant.  It's a shark