It looks like there are a few folks interested in the Virtual Ruby Group
(VGR) idea.

I'm not much for politics so I'm going to skip a formal Virtual Ruby
group declaration and waive membership fees and just jump into the meat
of the VRG and see if we can get some people involved!

Some project ideas have already been suggested:
  - pair programming capability into FreeRide (see
http://freeride.rubyforge.org/)
  - a team version of nopaste (see http://rafb.net/paste/)
  - implementation of xBase library for Ruby (see
http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/)

If you have any other suggestions please throw them out!

My personal suggestion would be to start with a project that involves
VRG inter-personal-communication. This strikes me as being the most fun
for people upfront since they'll be able to see it benefiting the VRG
right away.

Since we're going to be a virtual group we can kind of be leniant (sp?)
on official meeting dates and times. Perhaps for now we just wing it
using the Ruby ML until we get a little more structured. I'd like to
avoid structurizing the VRG now and just let it happen naturally. This
way folks don't feel pressured into anything, and we can find ways of
communication and project co-operation that works well for us, instead
of trying to fit a mold (like real User Groups who meet in person) since
we'll be a little different.

My vote is for a team version of nopaste first, then after that doing
the integrating pair programming into FreeRide (which Hal, that is a
sweet idea). I think both of these would be great starting points for
VRG and they would both be directly beneficial to VRG and to others in
the Ruby community. Once we get those going, then xBase sounds fun!

What do you guys think on all of the above?

Zach