Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Martin DeMello <martindemello / yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>  FXIrb is a simple FXText wrapper around IRB, giving it useful features
>>  like a decent GUI font and cut/paste capability. The current version
>>  is being developed under Windows; I'll look at crossplatform operation
>>  in a later release
>

> I have to admit I'm absolutely astonished at the number of people here
> who use Ruby on the Windows platform... many of them Ruby experts like
> yourself.
>
> I somehow have this image of open source languages like
> Perl/Python/Ruby mostly thriving on the Unix platform.  I mean sure,
> there are Windows ports, but those are usually assumed to be
> second-rate.
>
> I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.  Windows people have to hack
> software too.  I would imagine they would prefer more official
> development environments with fancy polished GUIs and the such, but
> hey why not Ruby.

I really liked Visual Studio back in my VB days, and like (to the small
extent I've used it) the current .net visual studio.  (SharpDevelop is
quite slick, too).

But over time I've become a big fan of the command line; I've built up a
library of tools to speed up Google searchs, library queries, TV
schedule searches, Wiki searching/editing, all from the command line.

And Gvim is my editor of choice.

By coincidence this has largely happened since I came across Ruby.  Go
figure.

But I've also met a fair number of Windows hackers who also live in cmd
world.  I think a certain mindset encourages the migration.

James