--Apple-Mail-11--536214559

On 18 Feb 2005, at 13:34, jason_watkins / pobox.com wrote:

>> I also tried to focus on Rails' performance, which I think is where
>> most of their interest was. These people were all pretty focused on
>> Java--using it in their workplace, etc., so it's not very likely that
>> any single presentation would ever convert them to Ruby if all it
> does
>> is focus on "cool". So I tried to give some performance metrics for
>> Basecamp and 43 Things (thanks very much to DHH and Eric Hodel for
>> their assistance!), and I think that really opened their eyes.
>
> Would you mind elaborating on the figures in the slides a bit, with the
> sort of comments you'd make in the talk?
>
> I'm considering advocating Rails as an alternative to PHP for some
> projects I'm likely to be involved it. We'd be using it backed by
> postgres (on linux). The audience is a couple of guys familiar with
> java, php and perl. I believe I can articulate the developer benefits
> clearly, but I'm not really a sysadmin and so can't go into the detail
> of what a statement like "43 things has load averages of 0.5 at
> 6.6pages/sec on dual processor 2ghz xeons" really means.

Actually, page 14 should read "~200k hits/day", and that's 6 pages/sec
per FastCGI process (we're running 30 total).

each box does ~100k hits/day of dynamic content without any noticeable
load on the servers.  (Load isn't noticeable until it hits at least 2,
once you get to 4 you really start to feel things, because your
commands get laggy and you have to nice things).

Basically, we could probably run the whole site off of one box for a
few more months of growth.

> I mean I can
> look at the homepage size and do back of the envelope math to say "ok,
> that's roughly sustaining 8mbit" but I don't really have any framework
> to compare that to what PHP, Perl, or ASP would sustain in that
> situation.

Our homepage is almost entirely pulled from memcache, we can serve
*lots* of homepages.

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Apple-Mail-11--536214559
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-11--536214559--