"Jim Weirich" <jim / weirichhouse.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:43271.192.223.163.6.1108747889.squirrel / weirichhouse.org...

> Robert Klemme said:
> >  - UML is used for modeling *and* graphical programming.  IMHO it's
better
> > suited to modeling than to programming; the difficulties getting a
proper
> > UML tool with working reverse engineering are a good indication for
this
> > point.
> >
> >  - People often do not distinguish between these two use cases of UML
and
> > that creates some confusion.
> >
> > I still find UML (or rather a subset of it) quite useful to sketch or
> > design certain aspects of a system.  I never use it for direct code
> > manipulation as I've experienced too many problems with this.  Also I
> > think it's not productive to model a complete system down do every
detail
> > with UML - which is what you would have to do if you wanted to get
code
> > out of this.
>
> I like Martin Fowler's descriptions of how UML is used (cf.
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/UmlMode.html): As a Sketch, as a Blue
Print
> and as a Programming Language.  I definitely fall in the the UmlAsSketch
> category, with occasional excursions into the land of UmlAsBluePrint.

Very sensible remarks.  I like this one especially: "CASE has become a
dirty word and vendors try to avoid it now."  This is not a surprise -
after all "CASE" is a four letter term... :-)

> Unfortunately, the UML standardization process is heavily oriented
toward
> the UmlAsProgrammingLanguage camp (i.e. MDA) and UML 2.0 is loaded with
> heavy semantics that most people will most people will probably never
> bother to understand.

That's exactly what I meant by "versioning": they're making UML more
complex with every release.  That defies the purpose of an widely used
allround tool.

Cheers

    robert