On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:36:06 +0900, Lyle Johnson <lyle.johnson / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:04:34 -0500, Zach Dennis <zdennis / mktec.com> wrote:
>
> > Sort of, and sort of not. I remember going to a few other Ruby Groups
> > web sites (I think Seattle.rb was the most recent and it was mentioned
> > on the list) and I really the liked the idea of people getting together
> > and starting projects together. I thought this was really awesome of
> > these groups to do this.
>
> Oh, yes. Definitely.
>
> > irc is great, but i don't know if it is the right spot to solicit to
> > others, "hey do you want to band together and work on a project
> > together?!" I dont' want to disrespect the #ruby-lang channel or scare
> > people far far away.

I'd think it's a fine place to do that.  And for a larger project, you
can set up another channel.

> This mailing list and the IRC channel seem like the obvious places to
> do that already; that's why it would sort-of worry me if we set Yet
> Another Web Site where you go to solicit other people to join you on a
> Ruby-related project. That is to say, I don't want us to get so
> "diluted" that it actually becomes *harder* to find Ruby people
> because you're not sure web site, or mailing list, or IRC channel to
> flock to.

Splintering the group can be a problem, but all that's needed is
occassional posts here announcing updates, or a couple of group
members to add urls, irc channel name, etc. to their sig files.

> > I was thinking that a Virtual Ruby Group could be as simple as a couple
> > people who didn't have other rubyists in their area to band together on
> > their own ML, and to setup online meetings once a month to start a
> > project together. This seems like a good way for ruby programmers, both
> > new and advanced to be apart of something. This could get as geeky as
> > people with WebCams, Microphones, etc... or just be a 2 people emailing
> > each other back and forth.
>
> Oh, yes, now this sounds fine once a group's established. I haven't
> yet had a chance to look at Skype (http://www.skype.com) but it might
> be something that you could use; it seems to have a pretty high geek

I've not tried skype, but I hear good things about it.  I've done
quite a bit of voice chat (in fact, I'm chatting a buddy in Georgia
atm), and it can work well.  Not sure how well it works in large
crowds, about the most I've tried is 6 or 7, and that may be a
realistic limit.

> quotient. ;) And of course Hal mentioned the desire to integrate pair
> programming capabilities into FreeRIDE; there might be other
> Ruby-based technologies that you could develop to facilitate these
> virtual user group meetings.

In our case, we tend to rely on http://rafb.net/paste/ for quick/dirty
stuff.  We also have a "private" version of that, but it's quite
limited - ie: doesn't keep a history, etc.

I would love to see a "team" version of nopaste, that keeps a project
history.  Something that falls between Forums and CVS.  Perhaps this
should be the first project -- building a small team communication
center?

> > I may be wishful thinking here, and this wasn't entirely thought out to
> > be honest. I was just thinking when I was at the Ruby Meetup Group(s)
> > web site, "WOW there are alot of 1-2 people groups, if they joined
> > together there'd be a whole slew of rubyists, just think what they could
> > accomplish!".
>
> Yes, and let me be clear that I'm not trying to throw cold water on
> the idea. I'm glad you're excited about it and hope that it goes
> somewhere. I'm one of those people out in the Ruby desert (that is the
> Tennessee Valley) and until I recruit some more guys at work to get
> into Ruby, the Internet is my virtual user group too. ;)
>
> This also seems like the appropriate place to mention the RubyCentral,
> Inc. codefest grant program (see http://www.rubycentral.org); it is a
> program designed to provide support for local and regional groups
> working on development of Ruby libraries. The first round of
> solicitations has just ended (i.e. you can't apply for a grant right
> now), but if this first round of work goes well there may be
> additional ones in the future.

I look forward to see how that works out, and I'm hoping for the best.
 I still have a the beginnings of an xBase library that I'd love to
find a team to help flesh out.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)