> On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 09:40:03PM +0900, Harry Ohlsen noted:
> > I may be giving a quick introduction to Ruby to a Linux user group
> > over the weekend (ie, in the next 48 hours, Sydney time).
> >
> > Dave Thomas has kindly allowed me to use his slides, and I've been
> > writing examples to go with some of them, over and above the code
> > that's in the slides themselves.
> >
> > What I'd be interested in, if anyone can help me, would be some short
> > code snippets that show off some of Ruby's features (and I'm pretty
> > much a newbie, so I'm sure there are lots of things I don't know
> > about).
> >
> > In particular, I would guess a lot of the audience will know perl, so
> > examples of how to do things that perl can do and that people think
> > are important features of perl would be useful, so when someone says
> > "perl can do this; can ruby?" I'll be able to show them how it's done.
> >
> > Similarly for python I guess.
> >
> > Note, I'm not looking to say "Ruby's better than X because ...", just
> > to be able to say "If you were to write stuff in ruby, you can still
> > do the things you currently do in X".  Of course, if the Ruby version
> > happens to be cleaner or more flexible in some way, so much the
> > better.
> >
> > I'd prefer complete code snippets that I can actually run, but I'm
> > happy to write some code to call anything you can provide ... so long
> > as I understand how it works :-).
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

If you need to throw something basic in there as well--like to show
differences in OO syntax--I have a Beats class that I implemented in both
Perl and Python.  It's an object for translating the time to and from the
Swatch .beats system.  I commented it for presentation because I was going
to give it to my old CS professor.  All it would need is for you to
implement it in Ruby.  E-mail me if you'd like the code.

Michael