On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:15:06 +0900, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that I'd *never* suggest that ERD should be used for object
> modeling. UML Class Diagrams are perfectly good for that. But that's
> about *all* they're good for, and they're not always good for that
> in all languages because they make assumptions about the language
> that will be used. Products like ArcStyle might be able to help with
> that, but they'll still never produce a good database schema from an
> object model. Never.

Does this have any bearing on O/R libs such as Og and ActiveRecord?

I figure it has to; it is quite unlikely that, beyond really basic
scenarios, your object model will have an isomorphic fit to your
database.  In many cases this simply may  not matter; the speed in
development and the cleaner conceptual model (from a OO developers
point of view) may well compensate for any inefficiencies.

But I'm wondering if there are guidelines that indicate when the
mismatch between the OO model and a proper E/R model is too great for
any automated lib to do a good job.

James