gabriele renzi wrote:
> James Britt ha scritto:
>> The tricky part is providing enough information to a new user as to
>> what that little icon is for without that same information just
>> getting in the way once a user is no longer new.  Maybe mouse-over
>> pop-up help. Something, anyway.
>

> I'd just add a tiny box on the right with "link info" on top and
> initially filled with "click on the [i] for more info on each link".

Good thought.

> IMO this is
> - self explanatory on usage
> - does not steal space, since it uses the same of the actual approach,but..
> - ..it is clear that you can get more informations, since you know there
> is an info box
> - it is not something that will slow successive visits
>
> Actually, I think mouse-overing is better than icon clicking, but since
> you're using xmlhttprequest it would probably be too much overhead.

I've considered mouse-overing, but I don't think the response time is
fast enough, and if you're gliding over several items you'll end up
making a fair number of requests that are just discarded after the data
is returned.

> <snip>
>
>> But the matter of clutter is certainly something to watch for; part of
>> me thinks that simple links to predefined facet browsing might be
>> better.  (With sufficient JavaScript the boxes could be collapsible as
>> well, I suppose, by default showing only topic titles linking to a
>> full browsing page.)
>

> this would be wonderful and would bump up the coolness-factor :)

I'm seriously considering it.  It would leave more room and reduce the
clutter.  Easier on the eye, and easier to direct attention to the
important features.

(I've also given thought to how one could create a customized page, with
just those categories of resources one prefers.  Sort of like how /.
lets you select among a thousand different sidebar boxes.  )

James