>I was struck by the discrepancy between this quote from the Ruby man
>page:
>
>       If you want a language for easy object-oriented program-
>       ming, or you don't like the Perl ugliness, or you do like
>       the concept of lisp, but don't like too much parentheses,
>       Ruby may be the language of your choice.
>
>and this excerpt from one of the Ruby scripts in the build package for
>Ruby itself [1]:
>
>  File.foreach($config || "config.status") do |$_|
>    next if /^#/
>    if /^s%@(\w+)@%(.*)%g/
>      name = $1
>      val = $2 || ""
>      next if /^(INSTALL|DEFS|configure_input|srcdir)$/ =~ name
>      val.gsub!(/\$\{([^{}]+)\}/) { "$(#{$1})" }
>      CONFIG[name] = val
>    end
>  end

Most of the ugliness here is caused by regexps. Regexps are inherently
ugly, but inherently useful.

AFAIK, the only language which has tried to come up with an alternative
to regexps in the core language is REBOL. I experimented with it for a
bit, but never got quite used to it. Perhaps my brain is just too polluted
by regexps.

// niklas