Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:59:18 +0900, Zach Dennis <zdennis / mktec.com> wrote:
>

>>If this sounds appealling to other people perhaps we could set up a
>>virtual ruby group. Setup microphone/webcam/instant messenger/irc
>>channel, etc.. to do a meeting over the wire.
>

> Well, there is of course the existing IRC channel at freenode, so I
> don't think we want to splinter off from that. Are you suggesting that
> we try to augment that (e.g. with webcams and what-not)?

Sort of, and sort of not. I remember going to a few other Ruby Groups
web sites (I think Seattle.rb was the most recent and it was mentioned
on the list) and I really the liked the idea of people getting together
and starting projects together. I thought this was really awesome of
these groups to do this.

irc is great, but i don't know if it is the right spot to solicit to
others, "hey do you want to band together and work on a project
together?!" I dont' want to disrespect the #ruby-lang channel or scare
people far far away.

I was thinking that a Virtual Ruby Group could be as simple as a couple
people who didn't have other rubyists in their area to band together on
their own ML, and to setup online meetings once a month to start a
project together. This seems like a good way for ruby programmers, both
new and advanced to be apart of something. This could get as geeky as
people with WebCams, Microphones, etc... or just be a 2 people emailing
each other back and forth.

I may be wishful thinking here, and this wasn't entirely thought out to
be honest. I was just thinking when I was at the Ruby Meetup Group(s)
web site, "WOW there are alot of 1-2 people groups, if they joined
together there'd be a whole slew of rubyists, just think what they could
accomplish!".

I don't know if anyone else out there is thinking, man that'd be cool,
but I dont' want to say anything...so I thought I'd say something.
Fighting for the little guy in a sea of .NET, Perl, Python and Java users!

Zach