Another interesting set of free books is "How to Think Like a Computer
Scientist" which is published under the Open Publication Licens (free),
and comes in three flavors: java, c++, and python.  It would be very
interesting to see a ruby translation as well.   See www.andamooka.org for
these and other free books.

-pate