John W. Long wrote:
> Recently I've seen a couple of people mention how much they would like
> to see a new look on the main Ruby Web site. I can't help but agree.
> I've been wishing the same thing for a bunch of the main Ruby Web sites
> for months now.
>
> Here is what I would like to propose. Let's form a Ruby Visual Identity
> Team, similar to the one formed for the launch of Mozilla Firefox
> [1][2]. Our first project: to redesign ruby-lang.org. After that we
> could offer our services for other projects. The Ruby documentation site
> for instance [3].

I nominate me to redesign ruby-doc.org.  I appreciate the offer, but
altering the aesthetics without changing the underlying behavior is not
going to work.

You can see a beta version of the site with a bit of hosts file hacking.

Add this to your hosts file;

207.44.216.66  beta.ruby-doc.org

and browse to

http://beta.ruby-doc.org/

I'm unhappy with the series of boxes (too, um, boxy), but they'll do
while I sort out some other things.  Adding neat curved box corners and
other visual treats has been put aside while I nail down behavior.  Once
that is stable it will easier to apply the appropriate styling.

Each box shows resources culled from links posted to del.icio.us.
Clicking the resource name just loads that page.  Clicking the little
'i' next to a resource shows you what people have posted it and their
extended comments.  A modern browser is required.  Haven't tested in
older browsers (or even many current ones), so field reports are welcome
so that it degrades nicely

The browse page is a variation on what I haphazardly described in my
RubyConf '04 talk.  It organizes resources as tagged on del.icio.us; the
tricky part is automagically metatagging the del.icio.us tags so that
some higher-level grouping is feasible.  In theory one should be able to
navigate through known Ruby docs and resources by drilling down via
facets, but it is not as clean as it should be.

Most other links and searching do not yet work.

There's other stuff I'm working on (URL queries into the API documents;
multilingual ri Web service; assorted data feeds and queries) but things
take time.

No assurance that what you see won't arbitrarily change; rational
comments and observations always welcome.

On a more general note, I'm all for people trying to clean up sites,
making suggestions, fixings links, getting things into better shape, but
I'm dead against any sort of formalization of the process across
multiple sites.

I really, really believe that things happen in the Ruby community as
well as they do because people feel they can contribute something in a
community spirit while doing so in a personal manner.  Trying to enforce
a uniform anything could be trouble; things tend best to arise out of a
loose consensus and running code.

James Britt

P.S.

As long as we're discussing Web site: Can someone put a link to
*something* on http://www.rubygems.org ?

Maybe to rubyforge?

I'm just sayin' ...