Recently I've seen a couple of people mention how much they would like
to see a new look on the main Ruby Web site. I can't help but agree.
I've been wishing the same thing for a bunch of the main Ruby Web sites
for months now.

Here is what I would like to propose. Let's form a Ruby Visual Identity
Team, similar to the one formed for the launch of Mozilla Firefox
[1][2]. Our first project: to redesign ruby-lang.org. After that we
could offer our services for other projects. The Ruby documentation site
for instance [3]. Perhaps even get around to implementing a couple of
nice templates for RDoc [4].

I would suggest that the team be formed from people who have strong
design skills. _Why has been flirting with an idea for ruby-lang.org
[5]. I nominate him to be part of the team. I've also done my share of
design work for Web sites [6][7] and wouldn't mind being involved. Are
there others who can come forward and show evidence of there skills and
enthusiasm for this project? It would also be cool to have people with
strong coding skills, i.e. experience with pure CSS layout and XHTML.

Once we have a team formed (5-8 people) how do we get official blessing
for our endevours?

--
[1] http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
[2] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/marketing/