"craig duncan" <craig-duncan / earthlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:4212271E.6090701 / earthlink.net...
> Robert Klemme wrote:
> > "Lyle Johnson" <lyle.johnson / gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>  >
> >>If I know what it is I'm looking for, and I'm just not sure where to
> >>find it, I use Google. For the most part, Wikis are more useful (to
> >>me) for accidentally stumbling across interesting things. For example,
> >>I might visit a Wiki and see that article X has been updated recently,
> >>so I scan it just to see what it's about. That article links to
> >>article Y on the same Wiki, and so I follow the link, and sometimes
> >>serendipity kicks in and I find something interesting.
> >

> > Sounds like an implementation of ManualBot... :-))
> >
> >     robert
>
> So, i guess the joke implies that there is no "known" way to make the
valuable info
> collected on a wiki available for searching?

That's not what I indended to convey.  It was just a joke on Lyle's
crawling style.  Basically this is the style that most humans follow, I
guess.

> My obvious and total ignorance may be showing because i've never (that i
recall)
> visited the wiki site... ever.  The (however good or bad) reason being
that it never
> came up in a google search.  I should go and browse some, i suppose...
when i find
> the time.  :-)  Maybe it has a search feature that i should remember to
include in my
> repetoire of searching behaviors when i go looking for information
relating to the
> specific thing i'm working on.  ?

I think usually you can search a wiki although some seem to try to hide
the search dialogue...

robots.txt could be a reason for not being indexed.

Kind regards

    robert