Mark Hubbart wrote:

> GAH!  A word of warning: since I've heard many nice things about
> slickedit in the past, and didn't realize they had a mac version, I
> decided to install the trial version and check it out.
>
> Problems:
>
> 1. Before downloading, they require full name, location, and phone
number (!!!)
> 2. The installer package (which, on a mac, usually just dumps the
> files where they belong) extracts an archive in the root directory,
> then uses a post-flight script to *slowly* unpack 90-some megs of
> files and place them manually.
> 3. Without notifying you before-hand what it's going to do, it
> apparently attempts to dump files in system directories like /bin.
> 4. And after all that concern and time taken, it refuses to work.
Yay.

This is why a .pkg file is a deal-breaker for me when trying out a
piece of software before buying. I want drag-and-drop install for
try-before-buy software (and pretty much all Mac software, for that
matter), thank you very much. If the download turns out to unpack to a
..pkg file, I just delete it; I only tolerate installers if I've already
bought or decided to keep the software.