> >calendar.rb:1:in 'require': dlopen: Win32 error 1157 - [line continues]
> >  -/cygdrive/c/RUBY/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/i386-cygwin/gtk.so
> (LoadError)
> >   from calendar.rb:1
> >
> Check what version of cygwin GTK was built with. The standard cygwin
> Ruby was built against cygwin 1.1.6 and when FXRuby was built against
> cygwin 1.1.8 it gave a load error. Lyle graciously rebuilt FXRuby
> against cygwin 1.1.6 and the problem went away.

I agree, this sounds similar to the problem I was seeing. A good utility
that comes with the standard Cygwin distribution is their "cygcheck"
program, which lists the dependencies of a given DLL (like the "ldd" program
on Linux and other Unices, or the "depends" utility for regular Windows
DLLs). This helped me a little when I was trying to figure things out.