On Feb 14, 2005, at 9:05 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> I'm not sure what constitutes an "excellent plugin system".  TextMate
> does let you build your own resource "Bundles" with a built-in "Bundle
> Editor".  These can contain Templates, Snippets, Commands, and
> Language Definitions.  Templates, Snippets and Commands can shell out
> to Unix tools, so they can pretty much talk to anything.  Snippets are
> replacement text with built in tab orders and Unix tool content
> generation; this is really the editor's greatest strength, I think.

excellent plugin system would allow me to do custom completion types,
e.g, adding filename completion would be possible. alignment of
variables
with = should also be possible, with easy access to the syntax
highlightings
tokenization making this possible. simple things like the ability to add
an embedded continually running irb with ability to snip code chunks
into it.

etc. i can think of a billion things that i've wanted to macro-ize in
the
past. and in the main they all require logic that plugin systems just
don't provide.

> The program has its own recordable macro system that can allow you to
> do automation with no coding.  It also understands its own URL prefix,
> which can be used to get external programs to ask TextMate to show
> certain sections of certain files.

still to find anything that lets me design a macro well :)
doubt that textmate could appease me on that. i think i'm
just not a editor macro sort of person.

> That's definitely opinion and we don't agree.  :)  When I first saw
> those colors together I thought it was garish, but after using it for
> some time I have to say that it's remarkably readable.

i don't have a problem with the colours actually. its just
that vim's highlighting provides much more colour. and i've
grown very accustomed to its helpful hinting :)

> Clearly editor choosing is very personal.  That's why I think it's
> important to download the demos and play around a bit.

totally agreed.

Alex