On Feb 14, 2005, at 5:14 PM, Ruth A. Kramer wrote:
> Alexander Kellett wrote:
>> how can a variable confuse? its just a name. anyone who's done basic
>> algebra gets it straight away surely?
>
> Probably, but a = a + 1 was confusing for me when I first started
> programming (30+ years ago) (solving for a gives a = 1/2 ;-)

maybe i've little experience with people learning later on.
the a' = a + 1 trick usually works to explain whats going on
if people have a background in mathematics.

i learnt algebra just shortly before i learnt to program, and
as i was 7 or so, this affects massively my views on whats easy
and whats not i guess :)

alex