On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:19:20 +0900, Navindra Umanee
<navindra / cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Alexander Kellett <ruby-lists / lypanov.net> wrote:

> Besides, Python is a more restricted and syntactically uniform
> language.  Ruby is more flexible and expressive, but IMHO to really
> understand the code you have to know more CS concepts and have a
> deeper understanding of the syntax than some people like to admit.

No. Ruby is only complex when you  work on complex problems. (I mean
that in the sense that the complexity allows for elegant solutions.
Rails for example). When Ruby is used as a tool to teach programming,
there is no reason to use any of the complex constructs.

Python's procedural mix only works against itself for  when used to
learn programming.

For someone who is new to programming
"string".display
wouldn't feel less natural than
print "string"

Really, think about that.

And why should we try to teach them the procedural paradigm and then
say 'Hey! forget all that stuff you learnt. It's not really a good way
to program. Now i'll teach you the object-oriented way" ?

Of course, all of this I say assuming that the goal is to create an
object-oriented programmer, not a procedural one.

--
Gavri
I blog here: http://gavri.blogspot.com