Navindra Umanee, 13/2/2005 20:19:
> Alexander Kellett <ruby-lists / lypanov.net> wrote:
>> i'm really puzzled by this.
>> why python? or even worse. vb??!!
>
> How is a total beginner going to learn Ruby?  By reading Pickaxe?  I'm
> not talking about a CS student here.  My dad lives half-way around the
> world from me.
>
> Besides, Python is a more restricted and syntactically uniform
> language.  Ruby is more flexible and expressive, but IMHO to really
> understand the code you have to know more CS concepts and have a
> deeper understanding of the syntax than some people like to admit.
>
> Even though in Ruby you can abuse the syntax or treat it glibly --
> which makes it look like a nice thing for experienced programmers -- I
> think it is better to understand what you are doing first.  Python
> forces you to understand these issues.
>
> I prefer Ruby but I think Python will be easier for a beginner to
> grasp at the beginning, and it has less hurdles as well
> documentation/book-wise -- I even saw one of the beginner books
> describe how to implement a neat graphical game in a few steps.
>
> And yeah, VB has wizards and stuff on top of plenty of documentation.
> Like I said, quicker gratification can be a good thing.  Someone used
> to fancy windows and GUI stuff probably isn't going to be happy stuck
> at the command-line level.  Joao makes a good point, of course.

Someone posted this code here:
def fib:
	a, b = 1, 1
	while true:
		yield a
		a, b = b, a+b

It fails. Ask why! Because are missing '()' after 'fib'.
Ruby is more prolixe. It's bad to refactoring tools, but is easier for
the ones  who can't remember the names of everything.
Isn't a good thing you got errors because is missing a space, or because
you couldn't choose a number so great
(try
j = 0
for i in range(1000000000):