I see that I'm not the first to report this problem [1], but although
the prior report was submitted a month ago today, it appears to have
elicited no replies.

Trying to build Ruby from the source code distribution for the most
recent stable release fails with complaints of malformed makefiles.  For
example:

C:\usr\ruby-1.6.3>nmake
[.....]
compiling fcntl
Makefile:29: *** missing separator.  Stop.

A look at the makefile in ext/fcntl shows that line 29 contains:

@SET_MAKE@

In fact (as the original report for this problem indicated) this
makefile contains many unexpanded @....@ placeholders.  Can we get some
pointers to the documentation for the configuration tools used to
construct the makefiles on win32 so we can repair the defects in the
build scripts?

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline / rksystems.com