Hi!

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:24:58 +0900, Kevin Howe <kh / newclear.ca> wrote:
> Platform: Win2kPro, Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) One-Click-Installer, no
> firewall.
>
> ISSUE
>
> When I issue a gem command my memory usage shoots to 100% and stays there
> until complete, is this normal?

Ug.  I hope not.  I haven't seen this happen on Mac OS.  Can any other
Windows users comment?

> ISSUE
>
> Often when I use "gem install" the script hangs for about 10min on the
> "Updating gem source index" line before sucessfully completing (but
> completes immediately in situations where "Updating gem source index" is not
> triggered). This seems abnormally long to update?

Yes, it seems abnormally long.  It definitely takes a long time, and
it's definitely one of the next major things we have to tackle, but 10
minutes is way out of the box of what I've seen it do.  (We also
obviously need to include some kind of download progress indicator).
FWIW, an install takes around 50 seconds here on my cable modem if I
have to refresh the source index.  Way too long, but not nearly 10
minutes.

> QUESTION
>
> My regular rdoc command inlines source (-S), displays all methods (-a),
> changes the title (-t) and adds some accessors (-A). How can I tell my gems
> to do the same thing when generating rdoc documentation?

With the current version of RubyGems, it's up to the gem author to
specify rdoc options in the gem spec.  Users don't get to choose.  We
could definitely add that to the feature list for a future release.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com