On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Robert Feldt wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:11:42 +0900, Curt Sampson <cjs / cynic.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Matt Maycock wrote:
> > > Given that the OP mentioned Haskell, I think we should all try to come
> > > up with some language that has the wonderfulness of Haskell with the
> > > wonderful ness of Ruby.
> > Indeed. Count me in as a user of this when you come up with it.
> I'm also interested in this since they are my main languages (real
> order is Ruby, C and Haskell though). They are so very different
> though, so I'm not sure what it a mix "would mean". Pattern matching
> added to Ruby? Type inference added to Ruby? (would only be a
> performance issue? If so would it really change the language?) Dynamic
> typing added to Haskell? (Sort of meaningless statement!? ;)) etc...
> Maybe a wiki for this somewhere?

Hi Bob,

have you read "Constructive Deconstruction of Subtyping" by
AlistairCockburn ?

http://alistair.cockburn.us/crystal/articles/cdos/constructivedesconstructionofsubtyping.htm

(PS: yes, there's a typo in the url, it's normal)

I haven't read it all, but my impression is that it's very relevant (and
even key) in understanding the gap (or should i say: tension?) between
type-inference on one side and reflection/mutabilities/duck-typing on the
other side.

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr٬l QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju