Hi ..

 On Friday 11 February 2005 09:35, Robert Klemme wrote:

> Did you try with "Thread.abort_on_exception = true"?  Maybe you just don't
> see the exception in one of the cases.

Yes, I did.  No change in behaviour.

> Currently I have no explanation for your problem.  Is it really the same
> ruby etc.?

Yup.

10:04 (kant)$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-freebsd5.3]

and

13:11 (zcars12g)$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [sparc-solaris2.8]

Both show exactly the same behaviour.

> Personally I would not do a test beforehand to see whether I can connect.
> I'd just connect, catch exceptions and handle them.  Because even if
> alive? succeeded your connect can still fail (for example if something
> happened on the network between your test and the real connect).

Thank you.  I really like your implementation of open() and will do it.  I'll
post back and see if there is a difference in behaviour.

Regards,

--
-mark.  (probertm at acm dot org)