Hi, all, this is my first post to Ruby-talk, so please be kind-- if
that's not your natural disposition.

I'm looking to work up some code that turns floats into string-based
currency values.

I've got an implementation working that's pretty ungodly.  It looks a
lot like I would program it in Java.  Naturally, once I finished, I
found some Perl suggestion that looks like this:

sub commify {
     my $text = reverse $_[0];
     $text =~ s/(\d\d\d)(?=\d)(?!\d*\.)/$1,/g;
     return scalar reverse $text;
}

I am a regexp noob.  I experimented with using gsub and this regular
expression, but I can't seem to get anywhere.  The closest I've come
replaces the first comma but then eliminates the rest of the number.

Can someone help me figure out what's going on-- or point me to where
this is already available in Ruby?  (Pickaxe II references neither money
nor currency, and I don't really want to install extensions just for
this functionality.)

Thanks so much,

Jim