On Feb 11, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Ghelani, Vidhi wrote:

> So I had one more question then. What if (using
> the example you have given me) we wanted to run all the classes, but
> they were obviously in different files. Does that mean that by giving
> the command
> ruby another.rb
> all the files are getting executed , since the other classes are
> superclasses of that class?

See the line in myclass.rb:

require 'superclass'

?

That loads the other file.  Then in another.rb, you have:

require 'myclass'

That loads the myclass.rb file, which we've just seen loads
superclass.rb.  That's how they all get pulled in.

> Also What do you mean by " All Ruby code is executed as it is seen by
> the
> interpreter." What is the interpreter out here?  #Sorry if this is a
> stupid
> #question!

In Java, the program "java" is an interpreter.  It reads Java bytecode
to make a program run.  For Ruby, our interpreter is "ruby".  "ruby"
just doesn't need the code to pass through a compiler first.

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II