----- Original Message -----
From: Colin Steele <colin / webg2.com>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 2:32 PM
Subject: [ruby-talk:13046] Philosophical question: extension v. pure ruby

> I got to wondering today - what design philosophies/heuristics are
> ruby folks out here employing to decide "Extension or pure Ruby code?"
>
> NQXML is one of the more recent examples that springs to mind (great
> stuff, Jim - thanks) in which the decision was to go with pure Ruby.
>
> What factors do you consider?  How do you weigh them?

Colin,

This is just my opinion.

The only reasons I can see to implement an extension are (in order):
   1. Need a low-level feature not accessible any other way (a good
       reason, but perhaps a rare one);
   2. Need blazing speed (a good reason and much more common)
   3. Need/want to hide the source code from the user (not that I
       necessarily condone this)

Other than these, I think pure Ruby is always the way to go.

But, of course, someone will point out some factors I've overlooked...

Hal