--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

* On Feb 11 20:42, Adriano Ferreira (ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org) wrote:
> Argh! Going from Smalltalk to Java is not an improvement at all.
> Java's benefit compared to conventional languages like C/C++ is
> automatic memory management and straight-jacket ways to do a bit of
> dynamic programming (like loading classes at runtime, etc.) (and even
> that not without pains).
>=20
> Going from Smalltalk to Java and then to Ruby only works if you intend
> to deliver great pain and misery and suddenly smooth their suffering.
> I think it is a masochist strategy which I don't deserve to anyone.

I think you may have misunderstood the message - he wasn't advocating that
Smalltalk users learn Java then switch to Ruby.  He was saying that the
website is now out-of-date because even Java may be falling out of
fashion.  In the text of the page, "Smalltalk" should be replaced with
"Java", and "Java" with "Ruby".  It might then be more accurate to today's
programming trends :)
Tom

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--