James ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I've done much OO coding in perl 5 and I'm
> making the move over to ruby.
>
> Gosh, don't your programs get shorter!
>
> What would be a good ruby idiom to move efficiently from
> a positive integer in the range 0 to ~2000 to a specific
> method call?
>
> A case / when statement would do this simply, but in perl
> I sped this up by building a lookup table using
> an array containing references to the appropriate perl subs.

people already gave you good answers, so I am her with a question :)
Why do you want that?

Supposing you have 2000 autogenerated methods, you could put them in a
module named like:
method_xxxx
and just call them with

module.send "method_#{number}"

or something like that, and avoid the intermediary array/hash, but it
seem strange to me to have all that method named as "numbers"