Asfand Yar Qazi <ay1204 / qazi.f2s.com> writes:

> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>> Hi,
>> In message "Re: ruby-mode.el"
>>     on Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:40:06 +0900, Asfand Yar Qazi <ay1204 / qazi.f2s.com> writes:
>> |font-lock doesn't turn on by default unless I replace the line in
>> |ruby-mode.el that reads (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)) with
>> |(eval-when-compile (require 'cl) (require 'font-lock)).  Is this
>> how |it should be?
>> ruby-mode.el does not always require font-lock, for example, it
>> should
>> work with hilit19 as well, so that requiring it by eval-when-compile
>> is not suitable.  I personally haven't seen the problem.  I'm not sure
>> how to avoid your problem.
>
> It's been a recurring problem for me, actually.  I'll see if I can
> find a fix, and post it to the group.

require-ing 'font-lock doesn't turn it on.  To have your ruby files
auto-fontified, try this in init.el:

(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

>> |Ctrl-Q for word-wrapping comments no longer works!  It used to word
>> |wrap code as well as comments unless a new-line separated them,
>> which |was junky but still at least it was something.  It no longer
>> works now |- what's up?  Surely it should be possible to use the
>> comment-wrapping |code from (for example) sh-mode?
>> I don't think ruby-mode provides any Ctrl-Q binding, which is
>> reserved
>> for quoted-insert.  Or maybe you meant Meta-Q, which is not modified
>> by ruby-mode by default.  Perhaps it belongs to your personal settings.
>> 							matz.
>
> Sorry, that should have been Meta-Q.  OK, I'll see if my personal
> settings are bodged up.

Jim Weirich posted a comment filler to:

  http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?EmacsExtensions

I'll post my one there soon too.  It does more, but it's longer and
uglier.