"Mark Firestone" <hash_bang / retrobbs.org> writes:

> Thanks guys!
>
> I decided to go with Ruby Mail to read messages in a mailbox that I
> configured sendmail to put all messages sent to @bbs.retrobbs.org in.
>
> This seems to work just fine... the only problem I am having is
> sending messages.  Sendmail is attaching the full username of the
> account that runs the BBS software.. so I am getting ...
>
> Mark Firestone whatever / bbs.retrobbs.org
>
> Is there anyway to override this with NET::SMTP.  I couldn't see one in
> the docs...

Do you fully qualify the From: header in the message you send?  If you
send out

    From: Mark Firestone <correct>

Sendmail may be set up to append a domain name.

Be aware that there are two "from" addresses when sending email.
There is the envelope sender (the second argument to
Net::SMTP#send_message) and the message from (what is in the From:
header).  Which one is getting messed up?

If using /usr/sbin/sendmail (or equivalent), the command line argument
for setting the envelope sender is -f <envelope-sender>.

--
matt