Zach Dennis <zdennis / mktec.com> wrote:
> Provide an interface to retrieving special folder paths using function
> calls like:
>    SHGetSpecialFolderPath in shell32.dll
>    etc...

There is a file called winshell.rb included in my sourceforge project
Piggy. It might do what you want until someone comes out with a better
solution.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/piggy/

Unless Win32 Utils I wanted to be platform independent. My solution
was to implement what  I need from a Windows point of view and think
about other platforms later. If someone thinks this file could/should
be included into the win32 Utils I'd be happy to contribute it as a
starting point.

WxWidgets has a stable, platform independent file system interface but
I didn't look up if it supports windows shortcuts because I am still
using FxRuby.

Cheers
Sascha