From: dave / thomases.com [mailto:dave / thomases.com]

> OK, I'll confess.
>
> I have something called 'rar' which does just that. It
> bundles a group
> of files together, adds a Ruby wrapper, and overrides 'require' so
> that it can find files in the bundle. It requires no support on the
> destination system: the archive is self-contained. It also never
> extracts files: it serves the .rb files internally.
>
> I was going to have it use compressed files, but I still haven't
> finished experimenting with options, so right now it simply bundles
> files in straight ASCII.
>
> The program is pretty trivial right now: just a proof of concept
> really, and I'm running short of hours in the day. If anyone's
> interested in playing with the ideas and perhaps developing this into
> something worthwhile I'd be happy to post what I have.

Sounds cool... just a quick warning before everybody starts using rar to
refer to it. I don't know if everyone knows this or not, but RAR is actually
a compression algorithm. A friend told me about it awhile back; it trades
speed for some of the best compression you'll find. A google search turns up
a lot of stuff:
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&q=rar; and
http://www.rararchiver.com/ seems to have pretty good info.

I mention this because it seems it might be good to find a name that isn't
already used by something so similiar, in order to lessen confusion.

FWIW,

Nathaniel

<:((><
| RoleModel Software, Inc. &		| EQUIP VI